Sitting privately on over .6 acres, this magnificent 12,126 square foot residence is located on one of the most prominent corners in the heart of First Shaughnessy, amongst some of the finest homes in Canada. This is one of Vancouver’s most coveted and prestigious locations; whisper quiet yet within minutes of fashionable South Granville shops and the Vancouver Lawn and Tennis Club, restaurants, gourmet grocers, and within a short walk of the city’s best public and private schools, including York House, Little Flower Academy and Shaughnessy Elementary are just minutes away. Downtown and the Vancouver International Airport are also just a few minutes by car.
Designed by renowned architects Samuel Maclure and Cecil Crocker Fox, “John Hendry House” unquestionably represents one of the finest examples of the Arts and Crafts/Tudor Revival architectural style in Vancouver which so richly represents the city's dignified history. The house was completed in 1913, during an era of great growth and prosperity, in the new development of First Shaughnessy, created for Vancouver’s elite by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. The house was built using the finest of materials including first-growth wood from Vancouver’s forests. With rooms of impeccable design and ample proportions, this is a home in the grand style, built for comfortable family living as well as formal entertaining.
This landmark mansion, “John Hendry House”, reflects the power and prestige of its dignified owners. Mr. Hendry was one of the most successful and influential industrialists of his era. It is said of Mr. Hendry: “There is perhaps no representative of important industrial, commercial, and manufacturing interest who had more to do with the material growth, development, up building and prosperity of the country than he.”
The functional floor plan of the home incorporates nine bedrooms, six bathrooms and seven fireplaces, and exquisite detailing including fine plasterwork, stone masonry, inlaid hardwood floors, elaborate banisters and woodwork, coffered ceilings, and intricate leaded glass feature windows.
Extensive restoration, structural and mechanical upgrades include a new foundation in 1991 when the house was raised to increase the basement ceiling height, new electrical and plumbing in 2001, and a new roof in 2017. The exterior of the home has been freshly painted. Over the years tasteful renovations have enhanced the homes comfort and hospitality while maintaining the beauty and distinction of its rich heritage.
Built in: 1912
Approximate Square Feet:
Lot Acres: 0.62